DEBARY, FL (February 11, 2018) – National Safe Digging Month kicks off April 1st and Sunshine 811 calls on its members and professional excavators to motivate other excavators and homeowners to call 811 and practice safe digging.
Following the 811 process before digging ends with workers going home to their families, families' connected by WiFi and safe neighborhoods . Sunshine 811 can't do it along and we're asking everyone to work together to spread awareness of the hazards underground utility lines pose when you're digging. It's a simple message: Know what’s below. Call 811 before you dig.
We offer a number of tools you can download or order and use free of charge. Tools like banners, a news release, social media messages and even a game to promote on your website. Here are just a few things you can do with the items you’ll find in the toolkit:
- Spread our message on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other social networks. Make sure you use the hashtag #call811 and/or #FL811.
- Submit an op-ed to your local print/online paper.
- Fly a free "Call 811 Before You Dig" banner in your city.
- Publish a story in your newsletter.
- Ask your city or county to issue a Safe Digging Month proclamation. Sample language and Governor Scott's 2017 Proclamation are in the toolkit!
- Place a Safe Digging Month button on your company website.
- Send our news release to your media contacts.
- Run 30-second PSA on your cable access channels.
We thank you in advance for your support of this initiative.
National Safe Digging Month is formally recognized by the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate and has traditionally earned the support from nearly every state governor across the country.