DEBARY, FL, (February 18, 2017) – This April marks the tenth annual National Safe Digging Month, reminding Florida residents to always call 811 two full business days before any digging project.
This initiative is designed to elevate the awareness of and prevention of digging-related damage to underground utilities. And it takes everyone working together to bring a single message to Florida, Know what’s below. Call 811 before you dig.
We offer a number of tools you can download and use free of charge. Tools like banners, a news release, social media messages and even a game to promote on your website. Here are just a few things you can do with the items you’ll find in the toolkit:
- Spread our message on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other social networks. Make sure you use the hashtag #call811 and/or #nsdm.
- Submit an op-ed to your local print/online paper.
- Fly a free "Call 811 Before You Dig" banner in your city.
- Publish a story in your newsletter.
- Ask your city or county to issue a Safe Digging Month proclamation.
- Place a Safe Digging Month button on your company website.
- Send our news release to your media contacts.
- Run 30-second PSA on your cable access channels.
Motivating excavators and homeowners to adopt the call-811-before-you-dig policy and practice safe digging will ultimately save lives and protect property and the environment.
We thank you in advance for your support of this initiative.
National Safe Digging Month is formally recognized by the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate and has traditionally earned the support from nearly every state governor across the country.