How can I provide a response to the positive response system?
Members have four methods to update their positive response codes:
- Touchtone telephone A member or its locate technician can provide a positive response update to a ticket by dialing (800) 852-8057. The system will prompt you through the menu. You will need an ID code to use this system. If you do not have an ID code for this, you may request one by sending an e-mail to Member Services.
- Web-based systemThe web-based system is good for manually updating individual tickets. Login in to the Irth System. Then click on “Response Manager.” If you do not see “Response Manager” on your menu, e-mail your request for access to the Web Based Positive Response System to
. Be sure to include your Irth Internet login, but NOT your password. If you do not have a user name and password for the Internet, please send that request to Member Services.
- Telnet protocol used in conjunction with the Internet
Using the Telnet system, positive response updates are automatically sent to SSOCOF’s server upon entry from the member. Contact Member Services for instructions on setting up your system.
- Dial up modem
The dial up modem allows your computer to update SSOCOF’s server using a dial up modem. Contact Member Services for instructions on setting up your system.
What numbers should I enter into the touchtone system to represent the letter (A,B,C) portion of the positive response code?
The letter portion of the positive response code is entered as two digits. The first number represents the number on the key where the letter appears. The second number represents whether the letter is listed first (1), second (2), or third (3).
A=21; b=22; c=23; d=31; e=32; f=33; g=41; h=42; m=61; n=62; p=71; r=73; t=81; u=82; w=91.
What happens if a member chooses not to participate in positive response or use the positive response system to update a ticket?
Members that do not participate in the positive response system will automatically be sent a late notice ticket, billed at the rate of 94 cents per ticket. This ticket is sent automatically when the period of two full business days expires and the member has not provided a positive response update.
How can I provide positive response updates if I have one member code that represents four different facilities and not all are located in the same area?
You have two choices:
- Keep the single member code and select the best response that adequately represents what occurred at the excavation site; or
- Create a code for each facility type. If you wish to apply for separate member codes for each facility, please e-mail your request to
or fax to (800) 651-8601. In your written request, specify your name, company name and member code; and indicate that this change is for positive response purposes only. By using this option, you will still receive only one ticket and be billed for one ticket transmission rather than four.